THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Listen To Me...

by Leoni Abigail Valencia





This is it. It's my turn now. I can't help it but be nervous while someone blindfolds me. Will I make it? Will I hit it? With so many voices around, to which should I listen to?


"Hampas Palayok" is a classic Filipino game during parties and celebration. Without it, a party is never complete. We know the mechanics of the game - a person will try to walk towards the palayok and hit it, blindfolded. He/She can only be guided by the voices he/she hears around him/her.

Among all the other classic parlor games, "Hampas Palayok" was my favorite but I never won. I remember the feeling of being confident in my first few steps but that confidence turns into panic whenever I hear the shouts getting louder. "Kaliwa! Kanan! Derecho! PALO!" I don't know who will I follow?

I take my first few steps. Yes! I'm going to make it! I took a few more steps. Their shouts grow louder. My heart started to race. "Kaliwa, Abby!" said one girl, probably Jean. "Kanan, Abby!" said another voice I cannot recognize. "Derecho!!!" said a guy, probably Kuya Jeff. What do I do?

This game can teach us a lesson of trust. Do we trust those shouting people enough to follow them? Are we confident enough to listen to what they say? Are we convinced that they won't let us down? These are the critical questions we need to answer when we hear those voices. These are also the important questions we need to consider in a relationship.

I firmly believe that love corresponds trust. Without trust, it is impossible to love a person. A relationship without trust will never last. A relationship without it is never a healthy relationship. Both of them would eventually get tired of being jealous and suspicious all the time. Harsh words will be said, hurtful actions will be done all because they don't trust each other.

My heart is racing. I do not know what to do. But suddenly, I hear a voice. It's not just an ordinary voice. It's the voice that taught me how to play the guitar. It's the voice that consoled me when I was lonely. It's the voice that told me not to be bitter. It's the voice that gave me advice when I didn't know what to do. It's the voice I can trust. It's Kuya Arjun's voice. My Kuya Arjun.

"Derecho lang, Abby."
"Kaliwa."
"Derecho pa."
"Palo, Abby! Palo!"

I did what he told me. I hit the pot! I won! I won! It was a moment of glory. Everybody was cheering for me. Everybody was happy for me. It was all because of kuya Arjun.

To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.

0 comments: